Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Tooth Of The Matter

Had a dental related accident yesterday. We were playing coin football, a game I remember playing when I was in the Scouts years ago.

Explained briefly it consists of shoving a coin to the edge of the table, flipping it up, catching it and after spring loading your thumbs catapulting the coin through a goal framed by your opponents hands.

This was all going swimmingly until Richie, with whom I was playing, fired a coin a little high of the crossbar and, at great speed, ricocheted a 20c piece (about the size of a UK 50p) off my right canine.

Instinctively, we both clapped our hands over our mouths. Me because it hurt. Him because he thought he'd knocked my teeth out.

"Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Sorry! Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!" babbled Richie as I ran to the toilet and to a mirror to check out the damage.

Sure enough a bit was missing from my tooth. Only the smallest, smallest amount and only enough for me to notice, but where the tip was once sharp it was now ever-so-slightly blunted.

Certainly not enough to warrant a pay out from the tooth fairy. Although I have been spending a bit of money recently so maybe we should play it with ballbearings from now on.

No comments: