Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Saturday Night





The next day, Saturday, was a real struggle. The week had been a bit hectic and I still had to think about closing my bank account, cancelling my phone and getting an airticket. Also I had to move out of my flat.

I had caffeined-up again – which is not me at all. I could feel the ebb and flow of aching tiredness underneath my coffee-jitters. “There’s going to be hell to pay when this all wears off” I thought.

I share my classes with Dave on a Saturday. He really is a top man. He was going to a Halloween party that night dressed as Harry Potter and had bought some specs and a red marker pen to draw the magic scar on to his forehead. Nevertheless, we resolved to go to the Izakaya for a few that night.

And so I embarked upon my last day of teaching with the Shane Corporation. Yusei (pictured) was as entertaining as usual and this time didn’t piss on my floor, Mrs Mouse was as ineffectual as ever and darkhorse-salaryman Jun said he would use the word “angry” to describe his wife before using his fingers to make the “horns” gesture.

All-in-all a pretty run-of-the-mill day, then, and by 6.30 I was with Dave, drinking pints of Nambam and ordering skewers of chicken bollocks covered in soy sauce.

Had a pretty entertaining conversation about the 90s - Britpop, Cool Britannia and TFI Friday - but in doing so both realised that we were getting very old. It’s depressing that I have now reached the age where I can talk nostalgically and authoritatively about bygone eras.

Next, it will be “When I were a lad, all I had for Christmas was an Acorn Electron. Only 32k, but I were happy”

After 3 beers I could feel the week catching up with me and Dave had to get to his Halloween party to cast some Cruciata Curses (the most deadly spell of all, non-Potter fans) and so we resolved to give each other loan of a sofa for the night whenever were in 50 miles of each other.

I’d like to keep in touch with Dave. He would have been a good mate. Not that he’s died or anything.

I got home. Tried to write a blog entry, failed, and so ate some chocolate digestives instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really do enjoy the sprinkling of consumable items throughout your blog, are they there to keep Andy happy so he knows you're eating well in parts foreign?