Thursday, October 05, 2006

Spaghetti Burgernaise

In Japan, if you like burgers, you are not a bad man.

Out here I can be loud and proud. No longer do I have to meet people down dark alleys offering me a quick quarter pounder with cheese, or find special pubs where people crowd round a griddle in a back room.

You’ll find burgers on most menus here; from the cafĂ© to the posher sit-down restaurant. They view it as genuine main course and it’s often accompanied by broccoli, cabbage and gravy. Just like a proper grown-up and everything.

You’ll also find some interesting variations: The Italian-style burger for instance comprises burger, spag bol sauce, spaghetti, potatoes, green beans, and carrots.

They’re a big fan of the combo platter too. I’ve seen many dishes here that feature a burger with a bloody great fried shrimp plonked on top.

And of course, they see nothing wrong with burger curry. And frankly, nor do I.

No comments: