Thursday, April 05, 2007

I Arrive In The Land Down Under





Arrived in Sydney at 7.05am on the dot. Massive immigration queue and at the end of it noone could print me off my visa because "the bloke isn't in today" . Brilliant.

A train into Sydney Central Station and then over to the impossibly huge Ernst and Young building where friend, and erstwhile London flatmate, Kristy works.

Did try to get a taxi. Stopped on and said "Ernst and Young, please".

He said "Don't know it, sorry".

I went "Look, it's there. Look. I am pointing at it now". I was pointing at a huge skyscraper with Ernst and Young on the side.

"No. Don't know it."

I turned around once more to point again in case my finger had accidentally pointed at the sun or something, but when I turned back he'd driven off and picked up someone 20 yards down the road. Tosser.

Dumped my case with Kristy. I had lugged it all the way up a grand set of stairs only to find out moments later there was an escalator at the side. It was now 9am and Kristy finished at 5.15. Hmmmm. That's a lot of time to kill.

I walked into town. First impressions of Sydney, I am unhappy to report, were rather underwhelming. It's a bit faceless; a dull promenade of dark buildings populated by Starbucks, McDonalds and the odd 7-Eleven.

However, once I'd made my way down to Circular Quay things got much better. Here you can see Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. That was good.

Fell asleep on a piece grass. Listened to an entire series of the Ricky Gervais Podcasts. Had a pizza then an icecream. Watched some Aborigines play a didgeridoo. Then back over to Kristy's.

A fairly normal day, then.













Do Smoke On The Water....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have it on good authority that the Aboriginals with the didgeridoos at Circular Quay rake in a fortune.